Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Intelligent Design: Belief vs. Proof

Like many people, I have been following the Intelligent Design debates (and fist-fights) that are going on. My first thought is that I don't have enough information to settle the issue for either side. As someone with a scientific background, I like the elegance of Evolution. As a believing Christian, I like the grace and beauty of God-as-Creator. My simple solution has always been to ask "Why can't God have created Evolution?" I know this is too simple but the problem with a scientific examination is that 'belief' is a little hard to measure.

So be it. I will continue to believe in God and I will continue to be a scientist (in the form of an engineer) and I will let the lawyers argue over proof. They aren't likely to get it right, no matter which side 'wins.'

I was prompted on this subject by a post from Nick at Entangled States. Check out his thoughts. I especially like his statement:

At any rate, I have found that there is nothing in my scientific training that asks or requires me to disavow the first line of our Christian Creed: “I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth.”

What else can I add to that?

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home