Thursday, April 26, 2007

It isn't easy being green...or being unplugged!

How are you all doing?
Our Green Team reminded me that it was National Turn Off TV Week.

So what the heck. I'd done it several years ago. And it was fine. I'll do it again.This time...it wasn't the mindless violence or the mind numbing content or the materialistic messages that all my problems could be solved if I talked to my friendly pharmacist...I was interested in reducing the carbons I produced.

But something has changed ... I now live alone. My daughter is out in LA.
So this Spring. Wow! It's hard.

I wake up and don't know what the weather is without poking my head outside. Then I wander around my back yard where the daffodils and tulips and violets are blooming. The puppy drinks out of the pond. I rake leaves out from under the lilacs. Now I know what the weather is.

I come home and the house is quiet. How can I unwind from work? I made some decaf green tea and the puppy and I go out on the front porch. My neighbors are out. The young kids are riding bikes. The older ones are gathering and making plans. Then the adults come out. Bringing out trash cans and recycling bins. We start to talk. I'm glad to learn that Shirley's health is better. And I didn't know that Joey was at Camp Lejuene. So I copy down his address.

I walk past the television and remember that the Phillies are playing. Maybe I could plug the t.v. in just for the game.No! Radio. So I adjust to eliminate the static and hear Chase Utley get five hits and the Phillies win! What fun!

Maybe this isn't so hard at all.
I ' ve lost my defaults and presets and am making choices about the use of my time at home.
I' ve heard that the base of spirituality is intentionality. Choice is good.
So I' ve been reading without background noise and going to bed before Leno's monolog...I don't believe I missed any news. Actually, I' m more up on the news in my neighborhood.

Maybe this isn't hard.Maybe it's good.

How are you all doing?

Peace,
Canon Lexa +

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:43:00 PM, Blogger Lunar Mark said...

When I announced TV Turnoff Week to the family last week it was met with little enthuisiasm. But we got off to a great start. Until 'American Idol' came on last night. Oh, well. The TV is quiet again today.

In deference to full disclosure I must admit that it's probably been 3 weeks or more since I've watched TV. In a typical month I watch about an hour of TV and one or maybe two movies on DVD. So announcing that we were going to turn it off completely for a week was easy for me!

On the other hand, if anyone ever dares to announce "Computer Turnoff Week" I will fight tooth and nail against it!

[If you are saying it's pretty much the same thing, I can't hear you, lalalala, hhhmmmmhhmmm...I'm still ignoring you...]

So I need to go make sure the TV is still off ;) and take out the garbage.

I hope everyone has a peaceful week.

MarkT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home