Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Seven MORE "Deadly Sins" -- Yipes, gulp... and...

Mmm...it makes you think.

The Vatican has added seven modern vices to its list of mortal sins.
So in addition to pride, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, wrath, and sloth, we now get to consider
polluting, genetic engineering, being obscenely wealthy, taking drugs, abortion, pedophilia,
and causing social injustice.

Spokesman Msgr. Gianfranco Gitotti said that the old sins focused on self
while the new ones concentrate on actions that affect (sic) others.
Girotti is head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, which is in charge of ...you guessed it...absolution.

For me, this raises questions like:
If my income is in the top ten percentile for women worldwide, am I obscenely wealthy?
If I take aspirin...
If I don't recycle...

But also, if I don't speak up...
So, while I don't like these labels...is it a sin to be pro-choice?
I am pro-life. Which is why I am also pro-choice and a pacifist. And against the death penalty.
It is a seamless garment for me.

Friends, why does this list sound off?
Have I become a conservative ranting against political correctness?
Have I become a cynic who wonders why the Roman Catholic hierarchy is now listing pedophilia as a deadly sin?

Football fans out there...can you say "piling on"?
Something is foul here.
Help me identify it.

Peace.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home