Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What would Jesus I M?

Last week, colleagues and I were brainstorming as we planned for clergy continuing education event.
Someone said, "Lexa, what do you need to learn?"
I quickly said, "Computers. Power point. Mail merge. That stuff."
And I guess I wasn’t alone.
It seems there is lots of fear of being left behind as a techno - peasant going around. The energy built.
And I admit, we got a little silly.

Someone asked how this all related to the Good News of Jesus Christ.
And I thought of those bracelets. The WWJD ones. (What Would Jesus Do?)
And in the midst of the blogging and podcasting, I threw out,
What would Jesus IM?
WWJIM [instant message]

The woman next to me picked it up and answered...
Jesus would I M

I am the light of the world

I am living water
I am the bread that came down from heaven
I am the Good Shepherd
I am the gate for the sheep
I am the Way, the truth and the life
I am resurrection and life
Those seven "I AM" statements made by Jesus, about himself, are all in the Gospel of John. Showing and telling people who he was was the work of Jesus. His mission was to make God’s love perfectly known in this world.

Indeed, the first "I AM" statement is made in the Old Testament when Moses is being called by God to go lead the Israelites who are enslaved under the Pharaoh. Moses asks, "When the people want to know which God sent me to them, what shall I say?" At this time, the people believed in many gods. Is this the god of war or earth or sky or sea? God answers from the burning bush, "Tell them I AM sent you."

I AM?
What kind of a name is that?

I AM. I exist.

I AM with you.

I AM God and people cannot use my name like magic, so this is enough to know...just...
I AM.

Then God fleshes this out.
I AM the God of your ancestors...of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
... of Sarah, Rebecca and Rachael.

Then God fleshes this out.
I AM the God who heard the cries of the my people in slavery and I AM moved to deliver them from the hand of Pharaoh and to bring them to the land of milk and honey.

Then God fleshes this out by sending the only begotten, beloved son– Jesus- so that all who believe in him may be saved and have eternal life.

A Prayer:

Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on the hard wood of the cross that everyone might come within the reach of your saving embrace: So clothe us in your Spirit that we, reaching forth our hands in love, may bring those who do not know you to the knowledge and love of you; for the honor of your Name. AMEN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home