Tuesday, February 21, 2006

God Is In My Radio

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy
beg, borrow or steal
And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say
And all that you eat
And everyone you meet
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that’s to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.


Eclipse
By Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon

Now that my daughter is twelve I am doing my best to pass Pink Floyd on to a new generation. I feel it is my duty. If you are somewhere near my age you will understand what I am saying. But it’s not just Pink Floyd. It’s many others as well. Like Deep Purple (can you say Smoke on the Water?) and Focus (remember that crazy song called Hocus Pocus? I bet you’d know it if you heard it again!). And, of course, I’ll need to get to Lynryd Skynyrd (Freebird). And Jethro Tull. And…

There are two problems with this task. First of all, now that I’ve started thinking about all the songs she just has to hear, I can’t stop. The list is endless. How do I know where to start and where to end?

The second problem is that I started listening to some of these classic songs from a parent’s point of view and I’ve discovered things in the songs that I just don’t remember as being so, um, well, so difficult to explain or justify to a twelve-year-old. So I guess I need to edit my list. For now.

I’m sure you’ll also see that there is a third problem with my plan. For some inexplicable reason, my daughter just isn’t interested in some of these songs. I try to tell her that her music just doesn’t match up to these classics. “Yeah, right Dad. Whatever”.

Is it possible that I had the same reaction to my mother when she told me that my music didn’t match up to her classics? I don’t remember. I refuse to remember. That just can’t be true. I’m sure it was different back then!

What I do remember clearly is finding God in my radio. I thought it was amazing that the loud rock music, which I kept hearing was such a bad influence on the youth of the day, could also be delivering a positive message; a message of the presence of God in my life.

That was what I always heard when I listened to Eclipse by Pink Floyd. Yes, the sun can be eclipsed by the moon, but God eclipses it all. Everything under the sun is in tune with God even when the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

All that is now and all that is gone and that’s to come… That’s the power of God.

Has God been in your radio?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home